Craig

Craig
A Glimpse Into the Daily Workings of an Artist's Studio.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Coming Down to the Wire







Well, after a good day of printing, I'm ready to print the black stencil and finish this edition.
Took several hours last night to cut the black and thought you might enjoy seeing it before it's mounted to the screen and printed.

The stencil itself is a very thin lacquer membrane coated unto clear mylar.  It comes to me in big rolls 48 inches wide and several yards long.  I cut it to the size I need and then place it over my pencil pattern on my drawing board.  I then very carefully cut out all the areas that will print black and peel them off the mylar backing and throw them away. This leaves the mylar with the green lacquer to adher to the screen.  The ink comes through the clear window areas I have cut and prints onto the paper. (Because the mylar is very shiny it's tough to get a decent photograph.  Click on it to enlarge it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment